- +Top Ten Web Directories for the Fourth Quarter of 2014
- Upon the completion of our reviews for the fourth quarter of 2014, there were three changes in our top ten. GoGuides, which was in our top ten during the first and second quarters of 2013, has returned to claim the #8 spot. The Gimpsy Directory, which was narrowly defeated for a top ten position previously, is in the #5 position, and Directory Library, which was reviewed for the first time by Web Directory Reviews Org, is #9. Displaced were the WoW Directory, JoeAnt, and VieSearch, although WoW and JoeAnt missed a top ten spot by only one point.
In order of rating, directories that did not make it into the top ten this quarter were WoW Directory, JoeAnt, Abilogic, Directory Times, VieSearch, 1Webs Directory, Elegant Directory, Direct My Link, Directory@v7n, and Royal Link Up.
Several directories tied on points this quarter, including Aviva Directory and AMRAY, Gimpsy and Jasmine Directory, DMOZ and GoGuides, Directory Library and Skaffe, WoW Directory and JoeAnt, Directory Times and VieSearch.
- +#1 - Directory Journal
- Directory Journal has been in the top ten at Web Directory Reviews Org since I began reviewing web directories in the 1st quarter of 2013, and this isn’t the first time that it has held the #1 spot. Established in 2007, Directory Journal has truly been a model of a reputable web directory.
- +#2 - Best of the Web
- More commonly known as BOTW, Best of the Web has been in our top ten since Web Directory Reviews Org began rating Internet directories in the first quarter of 2013. Launched as a web awards site, BOTW became a general web directory in 2003, and has grown to be one of the largest and most active.
- +#3 - Aviva Directory
- +#4 - AMRAY
- AMRAY has been in the top ten of Web Directory Reviews Org since it was first reviewed in the 3rd quarter of 2013. This quarter, it retains the #4 spot although it tied Aviva Directory on points. As a company, AMRAY has been online since early 1997, and its directory was launched as early as 2000, making it one of the oldest existing web directories. For reasons that I won’t pretend to understand, AMRAY doesn’t get nearly the acclaim that it deserves.
- +#5 - Gimpsy
- Gimpsy was first reviewed for Web Directory Reviews Org during the first quarter of 2013, but the evaluation criteria in effect at that time did not allow me to give it the rating that I felt, even at the time, that it deserved. Under new criteria, I took another look at it and it holds the #5 place in our top ten this quarter. If you are not familiar with this one, give Gimpsy a try; it’s not your average web directory.
- +#6 - Jasmine Directory
- +#7 - DMOZ
- A true pioneer of the web directory industry and of the volunteer spirit, DMOZ has been known by a few names since it was established in 1998, including Gnu-Hoo, New Hoo, Open Directory Project, Directory Mozilla, and now DMOZ. This fine directory has held a place in our top ten since we first reviewed it in the second quarter of 2013, and it holds the #7 spot this quarter.
- +#9 - Directory Library